Reader, writer, romance novelist. I write romance and young adult.

Friday, January 25, 2013

Here's an excerpt from Monster Mirror:

Amazing how one wrong turn can irrevocably change your life…

CHAPTER ONE

It’s one of those lucid nightmares where you know you’re dreaming but can’t wake up. And because you can’t wake up, you’re terrified what’s happening is really real.

I run through these woods right here outside of Cape Livingston. I am familiar with them, every tree and clearing. My chest heaves with exertion and fear. I ignore the physical pain as my feet trip over the rough stones.

I look over my shoulder. A black-haired monster, big and hulking, chases me. In spite of the huge lead I start out with, the thing is catching up. It smells me. It doesn’t tire. It is strong and evil and won’t stop until it gets what it wants. I’m supposed to do something important, really important, but instead decide to run, and the thing is enraged.

Suddenly, I know I have to fulfill my honor-bound promise no matter how frightening the monster is. So I stop, turn around, and wait for it. Just wait.

The monster blurs closer as it knocks down trees in its wake and rips fissures into the dirt with its curved claws. The ground pounds louder and louder. Pine needles shake off the branches and shower the forest floor.

Terror fills every inch of my exhausted body, but it’s too late to urge my limbs to move because now my legs refuse to go. What do I wait for? Why do I stop? Move, Mia!

But I don’t move and accept my fate. I watch the monster grow larger as it rages toward my human body.

Almost here. My eyes close tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment